Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 3

               We started the day with lectures at the university, and luckily the lectures were very interesting 
today also.  We started off talking about the geography of Chile then moved into art and history.  We also 
discussed the issue of education in Chile.  There are many flaws in the education system here.  Only 
forty-five percent of schools are public schools in Chile, which is extremely low.  Those who are from 
lower income families cannot afford these private schools and typically have to go to public schools, 
which do not prepare them for college nearly as well as the private schools.  This leaves these students at 
a big disadvantage against children from private schools.  Many college students decided to protest to 
create changes in the system, and now the government is responding to the students requests by changing 
the educational system.  During the protests University of Santa Maria was even closed for a period of 
time.               
              We ate lunch once again at the university cafeteria. This was another interesting experience to say
the least. I took one bite of my empanada and bit straight into an unpitted olive. Olives happen to be one 
of my least favorite foods. Trying to be adventurous, I decided to try this bowl of what looked like flan.  
It was the weirdest texture and had a tough thick skin on the top surface. I could not even eat the bite I 
took.  Luckily, we will only be eating at the university only two more times.
                  Later today we went on our first company visit. We went back to Santiago to the airport to see 
LAN airlines.  LAN provides passenger flights and cargo flights.  I found it amazing that after their merge
with TAM that the airline essentially has no competition in South America. However, I wish we could 
have done something a little more hands on when we were there in addition to the presentation.
 
                 Afterwards we had out last salsa class. I can’t say I’m too mad it was our last.  Salsa just is not
my dance. I also had my first McDonald's meal last night. It tasted the exact same as American 
McDonald's, but I think I am getting more comfortable using my Spanish when ordering.  

No comments:

Post a Comment